Looking for recipes that would be Liquid stage friendly I remembered coming across a refried bean soup recipe one time and decided to give it a try, I modified as always to make it my own and to make it WLS friendly.
- 32 oz Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 16 oz cans of Fat free Refried Beans
- 1 10oz can of RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 pack frozen diced onion, celery and carrots mix 16oz
- 1 TBSP garlic and pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil on medium on large stock pot
- Add onion, celery, and carrot to oil and saute for about 6 minutes or until onion is transparent
- Add Chicken Broth, RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies and salt
- Cover pot and simmer on Medium low for about 30 minutes or until veggies are soft
- To make this soup suitable for the liquid stage I, blend it smooth you can do it in a blender or use an emulsion blender (stick blender) to puree the soup and strain the remaining soup.
- If you would like it chunkier and suitable for the soft food or pureed diet you can leave it without straining the soup.
- Add the Fat free Refried Beans and stir until combined.
- Heat through and serve.
- *optional as with everything WLS you can add some unflavored protein powder to this soup or even add a 1/2 cup of plain non fat green yogurt for creaminess and added protein.