Goals for the Pre op Liquid diet is to reduce the size of your liver, to make it easier for the surgeon during operation and to prepare you for the 2 week post op diet.
Your goals are to get adequate protein to help with healing after surgery and to build lean body mass. 60-70 grams of protein per day for women and about 70-80 grams for men.
* fluids – 48-64 oz per day initially after surgery. Increase to 64-96 oz per day after that
* start taking a Multivitamin (with iron for women)
* chewable calcium (citrate, since it is better absorbed by the body)
* Calories should be between 600-1000 calories per day in the post op stage
* Start keeping a food journal
Examples of acceptable sugar free full liquids include:
- Low fat/ sugar free yogurt/ greek yogurt
- Sugar free pops
- Sugar free pudding/ jello
- Decaf tea or coffee
- Low fat strained soups (no chunks) with added protein powder
- Crystal light/ sugar free drink mixes
- low fat/sugar Protein drinks and mixes
- Propel water/ G2 or Powerade Zero
- low fat milk (mootopia is my favorite for those of you living in Texas, low fat, lactose free and 12g of protein per 8 oz serving)
- in general I went by these rules (15g of protein or more per 8 oz serving, less than 5g of sugar, less than 5g of fat)
The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only. Susanne’s Shrinking makes no representation and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained on or available through this web site, and such information is subject to change without notice. You are encouraged to confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.